Thursday 17 May 2007

Knitting and Crochet progress

Progress has been made on both the knitting and crochet fronts, but it's been a bit of a slog. The Rasta Blankie is still growing.


Colors are still a bit off, but you get the idea. I'm going through that phase I get with every big project, wondering if I like it, or whether I should just rip it out. But I've learned that I go through this phase, and I try just to ignore it now. It still nags away at the back of my mind though (am I wasting my time making this? Could I be making something even better?).

So I cast on a knitting project for when that nagging voice gets too loud. 'Blackcurrant Ice Cream' by Jean Moss from Knitting Magazine, April 2005. It's a lovely pattern. I'm making it in a navy blue 4ply, and I think it'll look really nive when it's done. But. (There's always a 'but', isn't there?) The pattern works in chart form. Difficult, but not a bad thing really. I cast on a few times trying to figure it out. Well, it wouldn't be a bad thing if there wasn't a HUGE error in the chart. Two of the cable patterns have garter stitches going up the back of them in the bottom half! Now, I know from looking at the photos in the magazine that it's not meant to have them. And I know from looking at the top part of the chart that it's not meant to have them. Luckily I had only done a few rows before I had to rip out and do it again, this time making the corrections as I go along. Here's the photo of the current progress:


And yes, that is I-cords at the bottom! The way it's made, it looks as if the cables continue off the bottom into cords. So that's the good thing about making this pattern - I learned to make I-cords! And they're so much fun! It was hard to stop at the required 5". I wanted to keep going and going! (Yes, yes, I know I'm weird!)


So all in all, progress is being made, difficult though it sometimes is. It's all a learning process, isn't it? That's what I'll keep telling myself.

No comments: