Wednesday 16 July 2008

My Sad Seraphina



I made this in the few days after my gran's death. I started it on the day she died, July 3rd, and finished it on July 7th. It went super fast, cos basically it was all I was doing. I poured all my sadness and thought of her while I was making it. I think it's got a few tears on it :(

I had planning to give her a Seraphina shawl for her christmas. I think she would have liked the way it drapes over the shoulders so you don't need to keep tugging it to keep it in place.

This is my second Seraphina Shawl (pattern's here, by the way, and I found this chart super-helpful). Here's the first:



They were both made with Teddy Vanguard 100% acrylic. The first one I made, the red one, was made with a 5mm hook, and the silver one is made with a 6mm hook. I like both, but the 6mm has much more drape and looks more graceful. The 5mm one feels more afghan-y, and is nice and warm. I'm still learning about gauge and the different fabrics you can achieve with crochet.

I hope my gran likes her shawl, wherever she is. I'll think of her every time I look at it. I'm sad I couldn't give her it for christmas, though :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be terrible to lose a loved one. The seraphina shawl came out beautifully. I'm sure she would have loved it. :-)

Yarndancer said...

Thank you Zuleika :)