Thursday 17 February 2011

All Plied Up

I've plied and set all my pink and black yarn :)

To recap, I bought 75g of pink and 75g of black corriedale fibre from twist fibre in December, with the intention of spinning them to equal weights and then knitting some colourwork mittens. It took me a while to spin it all up using my spindle, but I just love spindling :)

I got a new niddynoddy from Twist Fibre on Saturday, and quickly got to work skeining up the yarn I've made. I have 4 skeins of black and 2 of pink.

My New Niddy Noddy :D

This is my new niddynoddy. It's an Ashford one, it makes 60" skeins. I love it, it makes it so much easier to skein yarn and to measure it.

And the obligatory arty shot ;)

Skeining - Close-Up

I think my yarn turned out to be more of a laceweight than a fingering weight though. I at first thought that it would be a DK weight, but apparantly I got carried away with spinning finer and finer :) I have 822.5 yards of the pink, and 743 yards of black yarn. The black seems a little thicker. I'll have to weight the skeins again now that they've been washed and set etc. Just in case that made a difference ;) But those numbers seem quite laceweight-y to me. Because of this, I'm not sure it'll work for mittens. I don't think I'm patient enough to knit laceweight mittens!! :D But I think the pink would look lovely in a stole or shawl just by itself. I just have to see it as an exercise in letting the fibre become what it wants. I can always spin more yarn to make mittens from :)

3 comments:

Julie said...

wow, it's beautiful!! looks professional.

Zu said...

It came out beautifully!! It does look a bit like laceweight. I wonder how long it would take to knit mittens with that. hehe

I'm letting all my recent blog commenters know that my blog url has been changed to http://blog.hobbyzu.com just in case you want to revisit. ;-) I made some changes to my website and lost my blog for a while. In order to get it back I had to change the URL. I should have left things alone, but whats done is done. lol

Lina said...

So pretty! Love the color of the pink and your new Niddy Noddy too. :)