Wednesday 8 July 2009

Tamarai

I've started the first of the projects off my big list of doom :)

My cold seems to be all better, and after a thundery, rainy day on Monday, the weather seems to have settled down a little here. So my knitting mojo has returned!! I hardly knew what to do with myself, I hadn't knit for days - I just couldn't concentrate on anything! Knitting seems to be such a large part of my life, I actually felt kind of lost without it (that's really a bit sad to admit, isn't it!)

But yesterday, I went to my bookshelf o' yarn, and picked out the yarn I'd been intending for Tamarai by Kai Mistry (go check out the pattern, it's fab!). And I cast on and proceeded to knit for 5 hours. This is my progress so far:

Tamarai WIP

The yarn is an acrylic - Teddy Vanguard DK, and I'm using 5mm needles. It's knit a bit looser than I would normally knit a DK yarn - 18sts to 4in, but I checked and rechecked the pattern, and it specifically calls for a DK yarn knit at that gauge. It's turning out quite nice and drapy, actually :)

I love how it's turning out. I can't wait to get past the armhole seperation so I can try it on! I think the light purple of the yarn will work quite well with the pattern.

According to Ravelry, I'm the only person to have cast this sweater on! I couldn't believe it, it's such a pretty pattern! The moment I saw it come up in the magazine, I knew I would have to make it. In fact, it's so pretty that I wrote a note to myself in my rav queue ("love this pattern, must make soon!") Well, it took me nearly eight months, but I'm finally doing it, and I must say, I'm very excited about it! :D

6 comments:

torirot said...

Looks nice so far! (I made Kai Mistry's other sweater in that issue, Armenius, also a very nice pattern).

Anonymous said...

It looks great so far! I love the color you chose for it!

Kate said...

I love the colour as well. :-) It's a great pattern and I can't believe yours is the first one, either!

Samsara said...

Wow! What a gorgeous colour! I might just have to add that to my Ravelry queue too! :-)

Kai said...

I was despairing that no-one seemed to want to knit this design!! It's so good to see yours. I love the colour and the stitching is showing some great definition! :)

Also, I wrote the pattern for a larger than normal needle to get the drapey effect. Kaftans should be flowing and I think the needle size helped with that.. :)

Can't wait to see how it fits and looks on you.

Any questions, don't hestitate to contact me.

Zu said...

Looks great so far. Love the color!